I’ve just started jogging again … and I’ve realized that jogging is like building a real estate business.
No, seriously, there are so many parallels. Bear with me here …
- It’s an individual sport for most but you have the option to jog with others.
- Not many people really enjoy jogging (sure, some people do but those people are veterans).
- When you start jogging you’re slow, you don’t go very far, your body hurts and you might give up or injure yourself … and if you’re in Australia you’re watching your footing for snakes….constantly.
- When you jog more often after a while you go further, feel better, you get into a groove, gain more stamina; maybe you participate in a half marathon or other race and start winning awards.
- Once you get the hang of it you truly enjoy it and it provides you with benefits – a higher level of fitness, cardio, you enjoy being outdoors, you sleep better, you lose weight.
- At first, it’s hard and you may want to give up. Perhaps you experience a love/hate relationship with it for a while … but then you push through and discover you have abilities you never knew you had and you’re improving every time.
Being a real estate agent (or an entrepreneur in general) is hard. For the most part, you’re on your own and it’s all up to you. You have to do things you may not enjoy doing (calls, prospect, sell yourself, market yourself constantly).
When you start it’s difficult and scary but if you put in the time and the work in the right areas you start to see the fruits of your labour. You may want to quit more than once but if you stick with it your confidence builds and soon you’re building a business and referrals are coming in.
When you find your flow in the business it’s a beautiful thing. But if you don’t push through the hard stuff and put the work in, success will not come to you.